Exporting is the process of selling your goods or services to other provinces or countries. This expands your market, meaning your business can access more potential customers. For many businesses in British Columbia, exporting is a realistic and achievable way to grow.
Why look for new markets?
When growing a business, your local market is an excellent starting point, but it can only take you so far. Exporting allows you to access new markets, meaning you can expand your potential customer base and increase sales. This diversifies your business, insulating you from fluctuations in your local market. The more varied your market is the more successful your business can be in the long-run.
What are the benefits of exporting?
Expanding your market can make your business more successful. Here are some of the benefits:
- Increase sales: new markets hold new potential customers, meaning your business can sell in higher volumes.
- New opportunities: looking beyond your existing markets can lead to a broadened product offering, new business prospects, and more diverse partners.
- Discover grants and funding: by growing your business, you may become eligible for new financial opportunities that are only available to companies exporting outside of B.C.
- Enhance competitiveness: increasing your sales can decrease your production costs and foster innovation.
- Protection from regional competition: the less dependent your business is on your local market, the less impact an increase in competition will have on your business as a whole.
Why export from British Columbia?
Many businesses successfully export from British Columbia — its connection with the rest of the world is optimal! The benefits of exporting from B.C. include:
- The free Export Navigator Program to help businesses on their exporting journey
- The shortest sea route between North America and Asia
- Several world-class international ports
- A shared land border with the world’s largest consumer market, the United States
- Sources of federal and provincial funding and support
Is exporting to new markets for me?
The idea of growing your business beyond B.C. is exciting, but it can seem daunting. We’re here to tell you that expanding your market can be a realistic and achievable goal for your business, whether you’re a large business that already exports to some markets at volume, or a smaller enterprise with big ambitions. Although exporting requires time, resources, and effort, your business will reap the benefits in the long run.
Join Export Navigator, and your business advisor will guide you every step of the way. You’ll never have to navigate the export process alone. Get in touch to find out how you can access our free advisory services.